Monday, January 24, 2005

Australia Part 4

Because all of my money was in Traveler's Cheques I had to break them at the rate of about one every day. Now, as I had understood it based on my own lack of experience, hearsay, and stuff that I just made up in my head, you can use a Traveler's Cheque at any store. This, at least in Sydney, is not true at all. Only larger stores, hotels, and whatnot will take them. Fortunately, there was a Woolworth's not far from where I was staying, which was actually between me and anything I would want to do anyhow.

And here's where we begin to discuss my vacationing pattern.

I would wake up early. You know, 12:00-12:30 in the afternoon. Shower. Get presentable. Head to Woolworth's. Buy something. Anything. I mean, you have to buy something in order to break a Traveler's Cheque but it can be anything. For the most part I didn't really need anything but I had to buy a little something everyday. Gum. Razors. A pen. Something. Then, I would head to SubWay for breakfast/lunch. I worked at a SubWay for a long time back in Gainesville and I thought I had gotten sick of it, but it really is pretty good for fast food. And more importantly they don't have them in Japan so I enjoyed it while I could. Then I would swing by the theater and see what was showing and at what times. A little wandering and then it was back to the theater. It cost a little over $15 to see a movie in Sydney, which would be about $11.25 US. Not cheap, but it's tough to catch American movies in Japan at all where I am so I saw everything I could. Blade:Trinity, Ocean's Twelve, The Incredibles, Meet the Fockers, Saw, and I Heart Huckabees. On a short side note, if you do not see I Heart Huckabees when it comes to video you are doing yourself a great disservice as this is probably the best movie I have seen in a LONG time.
Then it was back to the hostel to bum around a bit more until I found Scott. We would make our plans for the night.
"So, uh, you wanna grab a bite to eat?"
"Yeah, sure. Maybe get a drink after that."
"Cool."
After a few days it became a joke to us.
"Hmmm, let me check my schedule and get back to you."
"Well, I don't normally drink... But since I'm on vacation maybe just one beer..."

Anywho, he would hit the showers and then we would meet up again. Apparently, living in the desert has created in him the habit of showering at least twice a day. Then, we would find somewhere to eat, which was often a pub. Then, we would check out places on George St. This is, in my opinion, where all the good places in Sydney are. We also hit The Rocks (previously mentioned) as well as Darling Harbour. Both of those, according to the little free tourist books I picked up in the airport, are supposed to be the two best places to go. But having been there early on, and then heading to George St., we quickly gave up on going anywhere else.

There are a lot of great bars and clubs on George St., but we didn't find the good ones until we went somewhere else...

No comments: