Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Rock and Roll, Dude

Well, Sunday was the big day. My international debut, so to speak.
Yes, Sunday was the big rock show at which I was to be the guest drummer for the band, Good Morning Sox. This was a collection of 8, count 'em 8, local rock bands all playing together in a small club/bar/lounge/rest (the sign actually said Star Light Disco and Rest in English, no idea what that means). Went over well and I was complimented quite a lot, but I figure that had more to do with me being a foreigner than talent. I didn't screw up, but as mentioned before my drum muscles have atrophied horribly and, I'm ashamed to say this, I was reduced to playing quarter notes instead of eighth notes on the hi-hat. Oh the shame of it. (I'm assuming at least three people know what I'm talking about here. Maybe it's better that the rest of you don't. You know, for my ego.)

I found the whole thing pretty interesting. A little long (over six hours) but I figure I learned more about the local rock scene in this one night than all of my teachers combined know. Maybe not saying much there, but...

First shocker, everybody uses the same stuff. Back in the states when we had a show we switched out all of the equipment in between every band. The drum set, the amps, usually even the microphones. The PA was usually the venue's system so that stayed the same, but overall the name of the game was speed. Being able to break down everything and set it all up quickly was important. Here, the amps and drum set are used by every band and are provided by whoever puts on the show. There is a short period of individualization where the levels are set where the guitar players want them and the drummer puts everything in the most comfortable spot, but it moves pretty quickly. Sumiko, the actual drummer for Good Morning Sox, was flabbergasted when I told her how we do it.

Second, all bands do an encore. Every single one of them. The pretend like their done, and then everyone starts a sort of mechanical chant ("on-ko-ru"), and then they play another song. Like it's scripted or something.

Third, Japan's local rock scene is just as alive and vibrant as America's. Sadly, America's sucks. Most of the original music I heard was pretty much like the pop-punk stuff you hear on the radio and think,"Yech, this again." Most of the kids here really like American music, more than Japanese music and of course we don't export the less popular stuff. We export the big hits, which 99% of the time are garbage. They don't know that here, they just know it's "cool American music." Here's an example, everyone here knows who Avril Lavigne is, Radiohead rings a bell with most people but they don't know them, no one has ever heard of Tool. My mission is to bring the sound of true rock and roll across the ocean I think.

Fourth, be careful when you say 'cover.' As far as I know, a cover song is a song someone else did first and a cover band is a band that only does cover songs. But here, there is a distinction between a cover song and a copy song. A copy is when you get the sheet music (which is a big thing here) and play the song the same way as the original band. A cover song is when you change it a bit and give it your own flavor. In other words, a copy song is what I would call "a lazy, unoriginal cover song." But since they're doing it in English here it's still impressive.

Fifth, that's right, they do it in English. I saw two cover, errrr, copy bands on Sunday. One did nothing but Green Day covers, errr, copies. Everything in English and people sang along. I mean, they sort of hummed and mumbled along and then sang the chorus. Now, to be fair, this is what a lot of people do in America and it's the language they speak everyday.
The second band was a Mr. Big cover band. Most of you are probably thinking, "Do what now?" Yeah, Mr. Big. An 80s one hit wonder hair band that came along right as hair bands were on their way out. They had a bit of a pan flash with "The One to Be With You" which is still the only song anyone I know has ever heard by them. Not here though. Somehow they live on, and these guys played an entire set of Mr. Big tunes I had never heard before. People sang along, in English, to American songs, and knew more words than I did. The guitar player was really good. I mean, he played that 80s metal guitar to a T. You wanna know the real kicker? These guys were the headliners.

Sixth, Japanese musicians are pretty talented. I have trouble remembering how old everyone is. If you had these bands play alongside the bands I used to play with in Gainesville no one would see a problem. Yet 90% of the members are too young to drink. They are still in high school. Mostly they are music school students who study guitar or bass or whatever on a regular basis in a structured atmosphere which makes a big difference. Still, it was impressive.

Those are the big points. Otherwise it was what you would expect from a rock show. One band wasn't very good. One band really impressed me. I liked all of the others. The beer was overpriced and not that great. Some people came to watch everyone. Some people came to see one band and then left. It was 1000 Yen ($10) to get in and you got one drink with that. No big surprises.

Except for that white guy playing drums. What was that all about?

No comments: