Monday, October 25, 2004

Sendai is awesome

As I said in my last entry, I went into Sendai today for some shopping. See, Sendai is a really big city. It's number ten in Japan I think. And anyone who lives in a big city or has been around one very much knows that they not only have all of the big, main stores that everyone sees but that they also have a great number of secrets.

So, it really shouldn't have been a surprise that Sendai was the same way and yet it was. Today was really the first time that I had spent a whole day in the city wandering around by myself and I was much more free to head into any store that caught my eye. It was pretty cool. There are little clothing stores and toy stores and media stores and all kinds of stuff that are not at all obvious. You have to check out the little signs and head up an elevator to get to them, at which point you may stumble into a store that sells all kinds of cool figures or DVDs or who knows what. I found a little clothing store off the beaten path called MASH which sells American clothing. Not particularly cheap but some pretty cool stuff and somehow I had never noticed it before.

I guess my point here (and don't expect me to always have one) is that it was nice to realize that a big city in Japan is just like one in America, with all kinds of little secrets hidden away just waiting to be discovered. Who knows what I may find next time I'm there. Maybe there's a Godzilla store hiding somewhere. Oooh, I hope.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Sendai is awesome. But seriously, don't hold your breath about getting anywhere near where you request. It honestly seems absolutely random. People fluent in Japanese in big cities, people who don't understand "Konnichiha" in towns of 2000, those who requested Sendai ending up in Hiroshima... Who knows?
But I'm sure everywhere is all right. Not as good as here, but it can't all be Miyagi!